- National Report
- Pacific links
- About us
- Online Forum
Meeting to discuss forming an association, 9 October 2004
Minutes of meeting to discuss forming an association, Seminar Room A, Coombs Building, ANU, 9th October 2004
1. Opening: The meeting commenced at 1100 am. Prof Brij Lal welcomed the delegates and acted as Chairperson. Dr Max Quanchi acted as Minute secretary.
2. Delegates: Delegates identified their institution or other affiliation and field of research/teaching in Pacific Studies. Thirty-four delegates attended with Queensland, NSW, ACT, Victoria and South Australia represented. The fields represented included Anthropology, Gender, Geography, Health, History, Law, Literature/Cultural Studies, Linguistics, Museums/Cultural Heritage, Political Science and Sociology.
3. Apologies: Apologies were tabled from Guy Powles, Maureen Powles, Gerard Ward, Greg Rawlings, Robert Aldrich, Ron May, David Hegarty, Rod Ewins and Helen Hill.
4. International Centres for Excellence in Asia and Pacific Studies (ICE). Prof Kam Louie, interim Director of ICE, presented a short report on the federal funding provided for five ‘International Centres of Excellence’ including an $8.8m four-year national program to create a peak body to promote the study of Asia and the Pacific. It was noted this was a momentous occasion and the first time that this level of funding had been awarded to the Humanities. The funding would establish an International School of Diplomacy (with $4.8m funding) and a secretariat for the two components – the Asian Studies Association of Australia and a yet to be created peak body for Pacific Island Studies. Professor Louie distributed a booklet which outlined the objectives of ICE. Through its two components, the broad aim is to promote and enhance undergraduate and postgraduate studies, enhance tertiary teaching, establish research clusters, promote Asia and Pacific studies at the school level, establish Australia as an international centre of excellence in Asian and Pacific Studies and to establish mechanisms for advocacy as a lobby group. The Secretariat would also facilitate projects, identify funding opportunities and service the activities of the two component bodies. Prof Louie noted the aim of the meeting was to establish the Pacific component of the ICE project, either by formal incorporation or by the creation of an interim organisation, to represent Pacific Island Studies at the ICE Secretariat. Discussion; it was noted that; The project was a national initiative, not located in any particular university. The incumbent ICE Director (Prof John Fitzgerald, Latrobe University) would relocate to the Menzies Library, ANU the designated home of the ICE Secretariat. ICE dovetailed with an existing but separate national project – the Asia Pacific Futures Network – which would add an additional $1.5m in funding to related ICE activities. Relationships would need to be established with existing Humanities organizations who had a similar Pacific Island Studies promotional charter, such as PHA, PIPSA, SPACLALS, Pacific Circle, ICPSI, UH/CPIS, regional universities and Museum and Cultural Centre networks Australia was acknowledged as a centre of excellence in Pacific Studies, with a high international ranking, a critical mass of Pacific Island Humanities researchers, teaching, postgraduate study, research clusters and centres distributed across the university system in all states and territories. Pacific Studies did not have a high profile in the university sector, and the wider community, and had suffered some cutbacks in recent years. Significant advances and major initiatives were also noted and the ICE project was welcomed as an impetus for enhanced research and teaching and for establishing a higher profile.
5. Asian Studies Association of Australia: Prof Robert Cribb, the incumbent President of the ASAA, outlined the history and activities of the ASAA and suggested pathways that a Pacific Studies peak body might similarly pursue. He noted the ASAA promoted the disciplines that made up Asian Studies, made the field more visible in the wider Australian and international community, carried out an advocacy role to government, universities, business, schools, NGOs and media and facilitated networking – conferences, www sites, journals and the publishing of national, current issues and “state of the art” reports. The ASAA relationship with existing professional discipline and regional Asian Studies associations was significant and the ASAA did not replicate or replace their specific roles, but acted as a peak body advocating common interests. Discussion; it was noted that; ASAA membership was not linked to membership of its related professional associations dealing with sub-regions or nations; A new Pacific Studies body would need to establish a relationship with individuals in a variety of disciplines in Australia and outside Australia, with regional institutions that taught Pacific Studies, and with existing Centres, Projects and Associations. A new peak body would need to offer an inducement to its members Relationships should be investigated with other disciplines beyond the Humanities – for example, archaeologists, economists, scientists – working in the Pacific Islands field. A Pacific island studies scholarly research network had been formed in New Zealand in 2004.
6. Naming: Several names were suggested. It was decided the peak body for Pacific Island Studies would be known as the Australian Association for the Advancement of Pacific Island Studies (AAAPS)
7. Objectives: Several objectives were identified for the proposed AAAPS peak body. After discussion it was agreed that a short set of key objectives was needed and these objectives were;
• To promote the international excellence of Australian research and teaching in Pacific Studies.
• To play an advocacy role with Government, NGOs, schools, business, media and universities
• To promote Pacific Studies and its component disciplines at the undergraduate and postgraduate level
• To promote the role of Australian repositories in the collection, preservation and access to Pacific Island research, cultural and historical materials
• To promote excellence in the teaching of Pacific Studies through professional development programs for university teachers
• To promote specifically the study of Australia-Pacific Island relations
The meeting reconvened after Lunch.
8. Projects: Several specific projects were discussed and an initial list made for possible funding over the four year ICE funding period, and beyond. In the coming period the Interim Committee were asked to develop a project profile and seek ideas from members.
Suggested projects included;
• To maintain scholarly links with Pacific Island based institutions, organizations and colleagues
• To establish and maintain links with Australia’s Pacific Islander communities
• To invite an open, interdisciplinary membership
• To liaise with and act for existing Australian Pacific Studies professional associations
• To produce reports
• To enhance public awareness of Pacific Studies and Australia’s relationships with the Pacific Islands
• To create and maintain a data base with www access, on current research and teaching, units being taught and resources
• To respond to current issues and events
• To hold conferences
• To ensure Pacific Studies was represented on State and Territory Curriculum Boards
9. Drafting a constitution: Prof Brij Lal tabled a draft constitution for AAAPS. Discussion; it was noted that an interim committee would investigate further the wording of the constitution, and matters dealing with incorporation, membership and office bearers.
10. Interim Committee of AAAPS: It was decided the meeting should focus on procedural matters and leave detailed discussion to an Interim Committee. The terms of reference for the Interim Committee were discussed and agreement reached.
The interim committee was charged with;
• Distributing the minutes of the 9th October 2004 meeting
• Drafting a constitution and distributing it for consultation and ratification
• Establishing a preliminary data base of Pacific Studies researchers and teachers in the Humanities
• Liaison with relevant Pacific Studies bodies
• Incorporation (in NSW, ACT or Victoria)
• Identification of possible projects and specific funding (2005-2008)
• Proposing an inaugural conference
• Investigating subscription/membership provisions
• Identifying and establishing a procedure for the election of Office Bearers
Prof Grant McCall agreed to act as Chairperson for the Interim Committee. It was agreed the interim Committee would be convened at the close of the meeting. (see appendix for the minutes of the Interim Committee meeting). The following delegates were elected to the Interim Committee; Grant McCall, UNSW Paul Darcy, JCU Margaret Jolly, ANU Steve Mullins, CQU Max Quanchi, QUT Peter Mühlhaüsler, Adelaide Katy Le Roy, Melbourne Michael Morgan, ANU, Kalissa Alexeyeff, Melbourne Tracy Banivanua-Mar, Melbourne Rod Ewin, Tasmania, (in absentia)
11. Close: Prof Kam Louie thanked the meeting for acting decisively and creating a new peak body to represent Pacific Studies at the ICE and beyond. Prof Brij Lal noted this was indeed a momentous occasion and that the ICE project offered Pacific Studies research and teaching in Australia a unique opportunity to maintain and expand its level of excellence. A vote of thanks acknowledged the leadership role of Prof Lal and Prof Louie, Adrian Muckle and Michael Morgan in facilitating the meeting. The meeting closed at 2.30pm.
Interim Committee Meeting, 9 October 2004
Minutes of the Interim Committee Meeting, Seminar Room A, Coombs Building, ANU, 9th October 2004
1. Opening: Prof Grant McCall convened a meeting of the Interim Committee of AAAPS and identified the terms of reference.
2. Delegates: Grant McCall, UNSW, Paul Darcy, JCU, Margaret Jolly, ANU, Steve Mullins, CQU, Max Quanchi, QUT, Peter Mühlhaüsler, Adelaide, Katy Le Roy, Melbourne, Michael Morgan, ANU, Kalissa Alexeyeff, Melbourne and Tracy Banivanua-Mar, Melbourne.
3. Comment Memberships: It was suggested that membership subscriptions were not necessary in the first instance. It was hoped that AAAPS would attract members concerned with the promotion of Pacific Studies.
Conferences: It was agreed a series of conferences be held over the four years of the ICE project, rotating in States and Territories, beginning with Brisbane in 2005.
Professional development; It was noted a workshop should be held each year for university teachers, to promote and enhance teaching of Pacific Studies at UG level.
Data base on researchers and teachers; It was noted existing data bases could be searched and combined to create a new Pacific Studies list.
Office Bearers; It was noted that the decision on Office Bearers could only be made after investigating the requirements for Incorporation. In the meantime an election procedure would be established.
Distribution; It was decided that the minutes would be distributed to all delegates and those who tabled apologies for absence.
Related organisations and association: It was noted that an initial approach should be made to related existing organisations to identify common interests and the appropriate role that AAAPS might play as a peak body representing Pacific Studies.
Funded Projects; a sub-committee was set the task of identifying an initial list of projects within the boundaries set by ICE funding over a four year period.
4. Tasks: It was agreed matters need to be concluded without delay and it was important to circulate the minutes, a draft constitution and proposals for specific projects as quickly as possible. Tasks were identified and members of the Interim Committee accepted leadership roles for the items identified in the terms of reference established by the proceeding full meeting that had created AAAPS.
• Review the constitution with an eye to incorporation, in Victoria, ACT or NSW, whichever is convenient - Katy Le Roy & Grant McCall
• Prepare minutes and distribute to members - Max Quanchi
• Database of interested persons, organisations, compiled from existing networks - Margaret Jolly & Michael Morgan
• Liaise with other, existing Pacific Island organisations, Peter Mühlhaüsler & Steve Mullins
• Organise postal or electronic elections for the new organisation, and develop a list of Office Bearers - Paul D’Arcy
• Develop a plan of action for AAAPS/ICE funded projects 2005-2008 - Kalissa Alexeyeff & Tracy Banivanua-Mar
• Conference Planning – 2005 Inaugural conference, a joint Brisbane universities project; Bond; Rosita Dellios; UQ; Clive Moore; QUT; Max Quanchi; Griffith: Paul Turnbull and SCU: Ivan Molloy Close
The Interim Committee was thanked by Prof McCall for its prompt and decisive action. The meeting closed at 3.30pm.
Executive Committee Meeting, 10 October 2007
Executive Meeting, Wednesday, 10 October 2007, University of Queensland.
Present : Clive Moore (President) ; Katy Le Roy (Treasurer/Legal Officer) ; Jocelyn Leahy, Pacific Communities Liaison Officer; Max Quanchi (Elected Ordinary Member); Susan Cochrane (Elected Ordinary Member)
The Executive Meeting was held to take advantage of Katy Le Roy’s presence in Brisbane. The main item discussed was the situation surrounding the ICEAPS grant of $70000 to be held in Brisbane in the President’s name on behalf of AAAPS. These funds were previously designated by AAAPS for a national report, and creation of a web page and an electronic journal. Clive Moore previously circulated an email to the Executive explaining the blockage in obtaining ICEAPS funds and had spoken with Margaret Jolly (Vice-President) just before the meeting to get an updated picture of events in Canberra. Although it is not possible to outline fully the circumstances in print, we have reason to believe that we have faced prevarication and indecision by ICEAPS. At the June ICEAPS Advisory Board meeting AAAPS was informed that DEST had refused to release the final tranche of funds, but from other sources we believe that the tranche was finally released, although we have not been officially informed. The MOU with ICEAPS remains unsigned, but presuming that the funds will be released, and prompted by Katerina Teaiwa’s (Secretary) request to re-consider the way we might use the funds, the Brisbane meeting on 10th October discussed the division of the monies between the three proposed project positions. The meeting also asked Max Quanchi to draw up a new set of job specifications. These were circulated, amended and are attached. It was suggested that rather than use a newspaper advertisement, we circulate the job profiles to all members of AAAPS and also place it on all relevant Pacific Studies electronic sites, including the AAAPS site attached to the ANU’s Pacific Centre site. We had a long discussion over the merits of using university accounts before deciding on a temporary bank account created for the duration of the three projects. There is no legal impediment to the account being operated by one signature, but the Treasurer is off-shore in Nauru. The decision was taken that the President, whose signature will be the AAAPS authorization on the MOU with ICEAPS, be the sole signatory for the account. In exceptional circumstances there is provision in the Constitution to elect a replacement and AAAPS as an Incorporated Association would continue to operate. Communications have been quite difficult, with important emails and telephone calls left unanswered at times, and various key members of the Executive have spent extensive periods overseas. The Executive Meeting decided to locate the selection panels in Brisbane, where seven of the Executive members are located, while consulting as widely as possible. We also worked on ways to incorporate Canberra-based members while achieving national outreach. While acknowledging the importance of Pacific Studies at ANU, the meeting was conscious of the need for AAAPS to be seen as, and operate as, a truly national organization. The decision was made to locate the three projects people in Brisbane and or other locations outside of Canberra. We also considered the practical difficulties faced so far: an Association with no funds and an executive spread between Tasmania and Queensland, with the Treasurer now resident in Nauru. I sincerely hope that we have achieved something concrete and are not finally disappointed by ICEAPS. However, a letter drafted by the President and Vice-President urging the ANU Vice-Chancellor to intervene on our behalf is ready to be sent on Friday 12th. We have positive feelings about finally receiving the ICEAPS funds, but it is a delicate operation. Motions put and accepted at the Executive meeting:
1. That as a matter of principle, the three positions that are to be established under the ICEAPS grant to AAAPS [Web Designer, Web Manager/Editorial Assistant, and Report Researcher] should if practicable be based somewhere other than Canberra, in order to demonstrate the national character of the Association.
2. That the $70,000 grant from ICEAPS to AAAPS will be placed in a short-term grant acquittal bank account in Brisbane, to which the President shall be the signatory, and that the President shall circulate statements of the bank account to members of the executive committee on a regular basis.
3. That the President and Vice-President shall draft and send letters to the Vice Chancellor of the ANU Professor Chubb and to the former Chairman of ICEAPS Dr John Yu no later than Friday 12th October 2007 requesting the immediate signing of the MOU between ICEAPS and AAAPS in relation to the approved grant of $70,000 and the immediate acquittal of the grant funds.
4. That the initial Web Designer position should be undertaken by someone nominated by Paul Turnbull, and that this short-term contract should be supervised by Paul Turnbull. That the other two positions [Web Manager/Editorial Assistant and Report Researcher ] should be advertised via appropriate email lists, websites and such other format as the President shall determine; that the selection panel for the Web Manager/Editorial Assistant job shall comprise Paul D’Arcy, Clive Moore, and Susan Cochrane, provided that the selection panel shall seek the input of the Vice-President and others on the question of candidate selection prior to the meeting of the selection panel; and that the selection panel for the Report Researcher job shall comprise Clive Moore, Max Quanchi and Susan Cochrane, provided that the selection panel shall seek the input of the Vice-President and others on the question of candidate selection prior to the meeting of the interview panel.
Annual General Meeting, 19 April 2008
Annual General Meeting, Saturday 19 April 2008, Australian National University
Present: Clive Moore (UQ), Katerina Teaiwa (ANU), Margaret Jolly (ANU), Paul Sharrad (UW), Philippe Watek-Tailiu (Voice of Melanesia), Sonia Lacabanne (UniNew Caledonia), Pamella Zeplin (UniSA), Samantha Rose (QUT), Tony Krone (Canberra), Keren Ruki (ANU), Dirk Spennemann (CSU), Mark Hayes (UQ), Vilsoni Hereniko (UH), Helen Ware (UNE), Nic Macllellan (Melbourne), Greg Fry (ANU), Doug Hunt (JCU), Paul D'Arcy (ANU), Stewart Firth (ANU), Sean Dorney (ABC, Brisbane), Max Quanchi (QUT), Grant McCall (UNSW), Paterisio Nunu (USP), Helen Hill (VU), Maureen Powles (UniMelbourne), Guy Powles (Monash), Elaine Elemani (Canberra), Deveni Temu (ANU) (and ten delegates who did not sign the attendance sheet)
1. Apologies: Jutta Malnic, Martha Macintyre, Joycelin Leahy, Roy McCleod, Tracey Mar, David Baker, Susan Cochrane, Yvonne Carillo Huffman, Seini and Latai Taumoepeau, Peter Larmour, Paul Turnbull.
2. The Minutes of previous AGM from 2006 were accepted.
President’s Report. (A written Report was circulated and had been previously emailed to all members.) Clive Moore (President) elaborated on several points:
• The history of AAAPS and its first conference and AGM at QUT in 2006.
• The objectives of AAAPS and its activities between 2006 and 2008.
• The Website was under construction at Griffith University
• National report - Samantha Rose was appointed as the Research Officer for the National Report on Pacific Studies.
• Redcliffe communication and community liaison workshop
• Australian South Sea Islanders community workshop
• Museum and Gallery curators workshops (Brisbane and Canberra)
• The shortfall ($50000 not the promised $70000) and procrastination in transferring the funds from ICEAPS to AAAPS and the resultant slowing of the Associations rate of progress, were noted.
• The need to develop suitable communication methods between members of the Executive and the ordinary members was noted.
Treasurer and Legal Officer’s Report. A written Report by Katy Leroy was circulated and had been previously emailed to all members. Clive Moore noted the main points in the report, particularly the recommendation to open a bank account.
Vice President’s Report; Margaret Jolly gave a verbal report which amplified some of the points raised by the President.
Secretary’s report; Katerina Teaiwa gave a verbal report which amplified some of the points raised by the President and Vice-President. It was noted that the work of the AAAPS had been hindered by three unplanned changes in the Secretary position since the Carseldine conference – from Michael Morgan, to Peter Larmour to Katerina Teaiwa.
Business arising from the Reports
• The need for possible revisions to the Constitution was discussed and the decision was made to refer the matter back to the Executive.
• The need for improved communications between universities and across all states and territories between members and the Executive and within the Executive was discussed.
• The issue of fees was discussed and it was agreed not to levy any as yet, but that the matter be further discussed by the Executive.
• The status of the electronic journal Pacific Currents was reported on by Margaret Jolly.
• Challenges arising from the Association’s infrastructure were noted.
• The need for an improved membership record was noted.
• A call to move beyond a Queensland-Canberra focus in the Executive leadership was noted.
4. Election of office bearers: An election was conducted by the Secretary, and a voting sheet with a list of nominations for all positions was circulated. This had previously been distributed to all members by email. The meeting decided to re-open nominations and several members not previously nominated were co-opted or elected as corresponding or ordinary committee members, including Vilsoni Hereniko (UH liaison) Helen Hill (forthcoming conference convenor) , Sean Dorney (media liaison), Sonia Lacabanne (New Caledonia liaison) , and Elaine Elemani (community liaison). Executive positions were contested by members from across Australia, and four new Executive members were elected – two from Canberra, one from Sydney and one from Brisbane (McCall, D’Arcy, Quanchi and Ruki) and three members of the previous executive (Moore, Jolly and Leahy) were returned. Thirty-four members voted. Results of the election were; President, Clive Moore; Vice President, Grant McCall Secretary, Max Quanchi Treasurer, Paul D'Arcy Publications Margaret Jolly Community Liaison Joycelyn Leahy Keren Ruki Conference Convener Helen Hill Ordinary Members Chris Ballard, Susan Cochrane, Jennifer Corrin, Sean Dorney, Elaine Elamani, Vilisoni Hereniko, Sonia Lacabanne, Tracy Banivaua Mar, Stewart Firth, Agnes Hannan, Katy Leroy, Ivan Molloy, Ewan Maidment, Irene Paulsen, Paul Sharrad, Katerina Teaiwa, Paul Turnbull, Philippe Watek-Tariliu, Pamela Zeplin.
5. Other Business:
5.1 Incorporation. This would continue to be based in the ACT with the position of Public Officer transferred to Paul D'Arcy.
5.2 Pacific Currents: the plan is for two issues this year if there is enough material. There was discussion of a need for a refereed journal, but this was rejected.
5.3 National Report: Samantha Rose had been hired and survey forms were circulated. It was queried by the Secretary whether the survey forms had been approved by the Executive. (They had been prepared and checked by Clive Moore and Max Quanchi, the two designated leaders of the National Report project). It was also suggested that further information should be sought if the data collected by using the forms appeared to be inadequate. (This role was already noted in the project job description) It was also suggested that more of an emphasis on outreach be added. (One of the survey forms distributed at the conference was already specifically designed for this purpose)
5.4 Bank account - it was agreed one should be opened
5.5 Communications between the Executive - phone conferencing was suggested.
5.6 Change of name. It was proposed (by Ron Crocombe) that the “Australian” in AAAPS be dropped and the association work towards a change of ideology for the association to be more inclusive of Pacific Studies beyond Australia. It was pointed out that the proposed change was not possible without alteration to the Incorporation status of the Association, and would change the intent of its founders. This was discussed at length and the matter remained unresolved. The original motion was not put to the meeting.
5.7 Membership. An urgent strategy for increasing membership was needed.
5.8 An updated list of members was needed. It was suggested that a task to create a new data base might be included in the National Report role.
5.9 Next Conference. It was agreed after a discussion of possible sites, that Melbourne would host the next conference, subsequent to further discussions with Helen Hill at Victoria University, and others. Paul Sharrad at Wollongong, Max Quanchi at QUT and Vilisoni Hereniko at UHawaii were also noted as possible hosts for future conferences. It was decided the conference should stay scheduled for a weekend, and probably move to a January 2010 timeslot.
5.10 Conference Statement to the Australian Government. It was moved (by Max Quanchi and Grant McCall) that a conference statement to sent to the Prime Minister and the Secretary for Pacific Islands Affairs. A motion to write and submit a statement authorized by AAAPS was carried, with the proviso that the sections on the AYAD scheme and the Guest Worker scheme be re-written. The rewritten “Conference Statement” was to be circulated to the Executive for comment before being posted.
5.11 Rotation of Executive positions. It was moved (by Margaret Jolly) and carried that Executive positions be rotated should in principle to avoid any institution or personnel remaining in leadership too long. The meeting closed at 10.30am.
Committee meeting, 10 May 2008
Committee Meeting, Saturday 10th May 2008, University of Queensland The President (Prof Clive Moore) opened the meeting at 10.10am
1. Present: Prof Clive Moore (UQ), A/Prof Grant McCall (UNSW), Dr Paul D’Arcy (ANU), Prof Paul Turnbull (Griffith), Dr Max Quanchi (QUT).
2. Apologies: Apologies were noted from Chris Ballard, Susan Cochrane, Jenny Corrin, Margaret Jolly and Sean Dorney.
3. Meeting: The president noted this was a legally constituted meeting according to the AAAPS Constitution.
4. Constitution: It was noted that the AAAPS constitution, modelled on the Australian Anthropological Association and the NSW “Model Constitution” was compiled from these sources mainly by Katy Leroy with the assistance of Grant McCall.
5. Minutes: The Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held in April 2008 in Canberra were tabled. It was noted a draft of the minutes had been prepared by the out-going and in-coming Secretaries, and then circulated for comment by the Committee. Responses were received from Agnes Hannan, Sean Dorney, Chris Ballard, Clive Moore, Grant McCall, Susan Cochrane and Jennifer Corrin. The AGM Minutes (with a provision to correct the date of the meeting) were approved.
6. Canberra Conference Report:
a. It was noted that a Conference report had been prepared for internal use at ANU by the convenors (Jolly/Firth/Teaiwa) and posted on the Gender Relations Centre and Pacific Centre websites at ANU. This report had also been widely distributed.
b. A vote of thanks was passed for the quick action by the convenors.
c. The secretary was charged with the responsibility of preparing a longer report for posting on the AAAPS website, for use as promotional material to advance the cause of Pacific Studies in Australian Universities.
d. A vote of thanks was passed for the work of the three conference Conveners, Prof Firth, Prof Jolly and Dr Teaiwa, and their team of volunteer Graduate and Undergraduate Pacific Studies students.
7. Treasurer’s report:
a. Deposit of financial documents; Paul D’Arcy reported that full and detailed financial statements, audits, receipts and documentation were required to be deposited for all future AAAPS activities, as directed under the Act of Incorporation.
b. It was noted that the budget statements of income and expenditure for previous AAAPS endorsed activities (including the Carseldine and conference, the Redcliffe, Brisbane and ANL workshops) should also be lodged for the use of future conference convenors and those making applications for funding under AAAPS auspices.
c. It was noted that a full statement of income and expenditure (with receipts etc) was required for the 2008 Canberra conference, as this was the first conference funded and held in the Association’s name since incorporation.
d. The Treasurer was scheduled to meet with the appropriate ANU Finance Officer to discuss the status of various funds now held at ANU.
e. Official Seal; it was noted that under the Act of Incorporation the AAAPS was required to have an Official Seal.
f. Bank account. As AAAPS currently has no funds, it was decided not to proceed with opening a bank account.
g. A $10000 grant from APRFN for Pacific Currents, was being held at ANU, with Margaret Jolly as signatory.
h. The ICEAPS grant of $50000 i. $10000 had been forwarded to Griffith for the website project ii. $30000 was in the process of being transferred to QUT for the National Report project iii. $10000 was held at ANU to be allocated at a future date according to need.
Possible projects for funding or partial funding included;
- Create a data base of members
- Wider distribution of the National Report
- Further development of Pacific Currents
- Other projects to be identified.
8. Pacific Currents: It was noted by Margaret Jolly (in a written communication) that the low level of APRFN funding for Pacific Currents would limit progress, and that as Editor she could possibly require a further $5000 to complete the start-up of the project satisfactorily. It was noted that APRFN might grant further funds to Pacific Currents once the first issue appeared. The meeting moved a vote of thanks to Prof Jolly for her work on developing Pacific Currents.
9. Websites: Margaret Jolly and Paul D’Arcy were to approach ANU to remove two “dead” AAAPS websites from the ANU site. These were either blank or repeated out-of-date information. The ANU website links to the 2004 AAAPS Meeting, and the 2008 Conference were to be retained.
10 National Report:
a. Research Assistant; It was noted that the job description and advertisement had been again circulated to all the Committee. Ms Samantha Rose, a Phd student in Pacific Studies at QUT will commence in the role of Research Assistant on June 16th 2008. It was noted that she had already begun gathering data at the Canberra Conference.
b. Survey forms: A series of five forms had been distributed seeking participation and information from Teachers, Researchers, Institutions, (Galleries, Museums, Archives, Libraries) Communities and Non-institutional Contributors towards the compiling of a National report.
c. Editorial Board: It was decided not to create an Editorial Board, but to rely on the comprehensive representation of states and territories and interests already present on the Executive and Committee. The Executive and some co-opted members of the Committee will act in a advisory and review role for the National Report, under the coordination of the two designated project leaders (Prof Moore and Dr Quanchi).
11 Workshop funds: It was noted that $1000 remaining after the 2007 Museum workshops had to be allocated or it would be recalled. The President will collaborate with Margaret Jolly and Joycelin Leahy regarding the appropriate manner to allocate these funds.
12 AAAPS Website: Prof Paul Turnbull from the Centre for Public Culture and Ideas (Griffith) reported on development so far, including receipt of $10000 funding from ICEAPS (through ANU). He noted the move from an ANU to a Griffith host site, and that a web-based content management system (known as CLONE) would allow it to be easily accessed by a number of signatories. He indicated the website would be up by June 2008. The meeting moved a vote of thanks to Prof Turnbull for his work on developing the website.
13. Melbourne Conference: It was noted the next conference should combine themes of the Carseldine and Canberra conference, including;
• A Postgraduate Forum
• Teaching at Undergraduate level in Australian Universities
• Museum, Gallery and Archive Collections in Australia
• Local Pacific Islander Community participation
• Strategies for the Promotion of Pacific Studies across Australia
The meeting closed at 11.30am.